Cooperative Leadership Camp FAQs
Application dates & deadlines
Applications are made available each December for camp in the following summer.
• Applications open online December 2022
• Applications close online, or must be delivered by if mailed, on April 30, 2023
• Notifications to students by May 10, 2023 (Registration forms will then be sent to selected students.)
• Completed registration forms due to CCNC by June 5, 2023
• Camp dates: June 26-30, 2023 at Camp Monroe, Laurel Hill, NC
Can I be sponsored to attend Camp free?
Contact a cooperative that you're a current member of, and present this Sponsor Form for their consideration. Be sure to list your cooperative by name in your application.
Not sure what cooperatives are in your area? Take a look at our list of member cooperatives.
A few self-pay spots are also available with a letter of recommendation. If you're interested, please contact us.
Can my cooperative sponsor a student?
When will I know if I'm sponsored to attend Camp?
Students will be notified by May 10, 2023 to the email listed on their application. Then, registration forms will be mailed to the student.
NOTE: Do NOT use a school email address. (Schools may block emails with attachments and hyperlinks.) If necessary, you can create a free Google account email (@gmail.com).
When are registration forms due?
If you are selected to attend Camp, you'll receive an email notification with details. Completed registration forms are due to CCNC by June 5, 2023 in order to keep your free, sponsored spot.
If you need to cancel your spot after being selected, please notify us prior to June 1, 2023 or you will be invoiced for the camp spot.
What to pack for Camp:
• Bed linens or sleeping bag for a single, twin bed
• Bath towels, wash cloths, hand towel and beach towel
• Personal toiletries
• Sun screen and bug repellent
• Tennis shoes
• Shower flip-flips
• Swim suit
• Comfortable, casual clothing and shoes for daily activities (shorts, t-shirts, tank tops, etc. in good taste. No provocative clothing or anything that advertises the use of alcohol or tobacco products.)
• Light jacket in case of cold/rain
• Nice outfit for Award Night and group picture
• Costumes, musical instruments, music, etc. for Talent Show
• Earplugs and/or eye mask for comfortable sleeping in the bunk house (optional)
• Flashlight (optional)
• Great attitude (not optional)
What do students do at Camp?
Through industry-specific workshops and more, students will engage in experiential learning of the 8 Cooperative Principles, create real business and marketing plans, practice managing a real-life budget, identify and resolve real business challenges — all while having a great summer camp experience!
A Day in the Life of a Line Worker
Coastal's Reality Series
Farming & Sustainability: Cabot Co-op
Build a Worker/Owner T-shirt Cooperative
Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
The Food Co-op's Living Wage Simulation
Lake-side activities & swimming
Pool activities & swimming
Canoeing, Hiking trails, Archery
High ropes challenge
Bonfires with s'mores
Meeting lifelong friends
I (or my student) have been accepted to Camp. What else do I need to know?
The student will be emailed a welcome letter and asked to return the registration forms as soon as possible. Completed registration forms are due to CCNC by June 5, 2023 in order to keep your free, spnsored spot.
If riding the bus, the student will receive the schedule at least one week prior to Camp. If your transportation needs change, please let us know as soon as possible.
Are adults needed as chaperones?
Yes! As a teacher or cooperative staff member you are invited to attend camp for the week as a chaperone. We provide you with all needed materials and hold a Zoom prior to Camp so you know what you're in for! Also, you're welcome to ride the bus to camp or drive yourself.
If volunteering as a weeklong chaperone, you're asked to stay on the camp site for the entire week. We also need adult volunteers on the Wednesday of Camp for The Reality of Money: Life as an Adult simulation from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Please mark on your form what length of time you are volunteering for.
Please complete the Chaperone Form as well as the Background Check Form to apply to be a Camp chaperone.
Learn more about CLC
Take a look at videos from past Camps to learn more about what attending CLC is like!